Track in progress: Hey Dive
I'm working on an instrumental track, titled Hey Dive. I always have trouble naming my instrumental tracks.
This one was named after a headlong dine my wife did in the pool at Calamigos that was so impressive it has etched itself indelibly into my memory. I made most of the track while at Calamigos while the others were at the pool. I simply can't do vacation for more than a few days, then I have to be creative again.
After putting it aside for a few days, I was just listening to it again in the taxi to the airport. Here are my notes for what I want to change about it:
- Birds too loud
- Pad more in tune
- Shaker awful ... find another shaker sound
- Fill way too much
- Kick too plump
- Snare too sloppy
- Fill and Rise & Hit is too much
- Snare roll too sloppy
- Pluck is awesome!
- Pretty good soundscape & groove
- Fills a little on the loud side
- Could have more in the left front side of the mix
- Try carving out midrange EQ space for voices other than the main vocal hook
- 2nd half: Put rim or snare or clap on 2 & 4
- Bass dropping out: Try just highpassing it, or dropping one of the voices
Call & Response section:
- 4th time call lower, let response be the same
- 2nd time response da-da-dum doesn’t work
- Delay on response too heavy
- Response could be a bit more processed
- Try messing with the rhythm of the call & response
- The hats/shakers are a bit much ... one too many sounds, a bit too loud, too much movement?
- Fill a little much
- Hook comes in a little abrupt ... bring it in filtered in the bridge already
- Bass has a sharp attack on the fourth bar, doesn’t fit
- Fill the style
- Kinda like the organ but doesn’t sit great in the mix
- Beginning of snare roll doesn’t groove
- Could we use a drone to build tension?
- Again, lead hook drowns a bit
- Mid-way fill stops too much ... we want to keep the momentum going
- I like how the snap comes in the last 8 bars
- Hi hat could lose a hit